War Memorial Hospital (WMH) is a 3rd Schedule Aged Rehabilitation hospital, situated in Waverley, owned and operated by Uniting and part of the South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD). Services are comprised of 24 hour inpatient care, Monday to Friday outpatient departments, several specialist community teams inclusive of Transitional Aged Care, Aged Care Assessment Team, Geriatric Flying Squad, Young Onset Dementia, 7 day a week day centre, 24 hour accommodation service for regional guests and the full range of hospital support services. It is set within beautiful tranquil grounds and is a well-supported team environment.
An exciting professional opportunity presents for an experienced Nursing Unit Manager who holds sound clinical operational management skills and has strong leadership ability to oversee the running of our 35 bed sub-acute inpatient unit at WMH. The NUM facilitates and drives a specialist model of rehabilitation nursing care alongside a committed nursing workforce.
The role is central to supporting and managing the nursing team as part of the holistic patient care offered by the total multidisciplinary specialist aged rehabilitation team. With Aged Care and Rehabilitation acknowledged as key specialties of industry growth, this is a unique opportunity to be part of subacute patient healthcare in a sector of increasing focus. The NUM role is instrumental in ensuring efficient clinical performance that supports quality, safe patient outcomes, team engagement and service sustainability within an Activity Based Funding environment.
At a local unit level, the NUM is well supported by a Senior Nurse hub comprising of CNC, CNE and Clinical Care Co-ordinator roles. The NUM reports directly to and is well supported by the Service Manager/DDON position. The NUM role represents as part of the Hospital Executive Management team and rotates as part of the Hospital Executive on Call roster. The successful applicant will be required to engage effectively with all members of the WMH campus, the multi-disciplinary aged care rehabilitation team, as well as directly with patients and carers. The NUM participates in a range of internal and external committee forums. There is plentiful exposure and scope to contribute to cross campus service delivery and service development, in addition to networking within Uniting and SESLHD.
1. Current Registration as an RN with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (APHRA) with minimum 5 years' experience in the aged care/rehabilitation/subacute or other health specialty
2. Post graduate qualification in health management, working towards or commitment to attain same
3. Demonstrated experience and ability in high level clinical workforce operational management inclusive of effective rostering, staff recruitment, multi-tasking, accountability of unit resources and systems
4. Demonstrated strong leadership skills to support and enable a clinical nursing team in a dynamic evidence based model of care, within a multidisciplinary environment and quality framework
5. A committed team player with advanced interpersonal communication including written, verbal and facilitation skills
6. Demonstrated knowledge of business & financial management principles with cost centre management experience
7. Demonstrated knowledge and participation in Health Accreditation (ie ACHS National Standards) and Work Health Safety Profiling processes with commitment to maintaining a safe work environment and EEO principles
8. Demonstrated sound computer literacy in Microsoft Office applications, clinical systems, electronic roster management and procurement processes
This position is full time permanent role (Monday-Friday).
Position Description: PD_NUM_PFT_July 2021 (4).pdf
Enquiries to: Jane McGuire – Service Manager/DDON – firstname.lastname@example.org – 02 9369 0339
Applications Guide: WMH Application Guide with forms_Apr 2021.pdf
Applications Close: 11.30pm, Sunday 1st August 2021
WMH is proudly committed to the provision of environmentally sustainable health services. WMH operates under Uniting’s values and Code of Conduct which employees are committed to uphold. It is important that the people who work at Uniting have a sense of commitment to our purpose. We are an equal opportunity employer and we select staff based on merit and experience. Uniting supports an inclusive approach in the workplace.
You'll now be directed to a page to complete your application.